Celtic Apple Crisp with Honey Whiskey Whipped Cream


This is a recipe that is perfect for both St. Patrick's day and the fall. Especially with apple picking going on. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of baking and am always looking for short cuts when it comes to the holidays and having to bake pies. Shocker, I know. While I love cooking, I don't relish spending half my day in the kitchen. So, this recipe is perfect for those like me who want to make a delicious dish or dessert without spending the day slaving away in the kitchen.


I love this recipe and it will be one I will make at least once a year. It was easy to make, I had just about all the ingredients on hand, and it tasted amazing. While I thought it was perfect, the Mister, who is a fan of whiskey, thought it could use more whiskey. Ha! Me, I'm not a fan of whiskey so the small hint of whiskey in this was just right for me. So, I split the whipped cream up and added a touch more whiskey to his batch.

recipe adapted from Home and Plate



  • 4 large honeycrisp apples, peeled and sliced into cubes
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons whiskey
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon whiskey


  1. Peel, core and chop the apples into 1-inch cubes.  Place the apples, cinnamon, whiskey and water in a bowl and toss. Then place the apples into a prepared pie pan. 
  2. In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour, oats and melted butter and mix until crumbly and well blended.  Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples.
  3. Place the pan in a preheated 350° oven and bake for 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown.  
  4. Whip the heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Dissolve the honey in the whiskey stirring to incorporate. Add the honey flavored whiskey to the whipped cream in the final minutes of whipping. 
  5. Once the apple crisp has cooled serve it with the whipped cream.

No comments: