Hawaiian Sloppy Joes


I love sloppy joes. It's one of my childhood favorites that has become a staple in this house as an adult. They are so easy to make, you can customize them with ingredients you like, and you can tweak the sauce to get a completely different tasting dish every time. Plus, they pair really well with tater tots or cauliflower tots.


One of my go-to dishes is my unsloppy joes. I've been making them for years and I love them, but I wanted to try something a little different. When I came across these Hawaiian sloppy joes, I knew I had found a winner.  I loved the sweetness that the pineapple adds to the sauce. I couldn't find any fresh pineapple at my grocery store so I bought a can of sliced pineapple instead. I will go ahead and say that fresh is definitely better in this but canned works in a pinch. It's not that the canned pineapple was bad but I think the fresh would have not only held up it's shape better but given the dish a more pineapple flavor. 
Recipe adapted from Vodka & Biscuits


  • olive oil as needed
  • 1 yellow onion, small dice
  • 1 green bell pepper, small dice
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup button mushrooms, finely chopped in food processor
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup cooked lentils
  • 1 cup diced pineapple
  • 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 14 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 pack hamburger rolls

  1. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until onions are translucent and peppers are soft, about 4-5 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
  3. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms become soft, another 5-6 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook an additional minute or two to let the flavors mingle.
  4. Stir in the lentils, pineapple, soy sauce, brown sugar. Mix until incorporated. Add the tomato sauce and vinegar and mix. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
  5. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving on rolls.


No comments: